Tips to Help Prevent Termite Damage in Wood Windows in Jackson, WY
There’s no question that wood windows can add warmth and help improve the visual features in your home. One issue homeowners have with wood windows is the chance for termite damage. Termites get most of their nutrition from wood, which can cause homeowners a lot of headaches when it comes to structural damage.
So what can you do to help avert termite damage?
The best way to help prevent termite damage is to remove or decrease the opportunity for termites to get close to your home. Here are a few tips from Pella Windows and Doors on how you can help lessen the chance of termite infestation.
- Keep Brush Away From Your House – Try to keep the ground area around your house free of any brush or rotten wood. Termites will use this as a path to get to the house. Especially for windows on the lower level, keep leaves, dirt and other brush away from the foundation and house.
- Properly Vent Your Home – Termites also seek out water and moisture, so it’s critical to make sure your home, including small crawl spaces, are appropriately ventilated and allow air to flow.
- Clean Out Gutters – Clogged gutters create pools of water that are also appealing to termites, and conveniently for the termites— are near the home. Make sure you don’t have standing water or leaves and sticks in your gutters.
- Fix Foundation Cracks – Seal up or fill any cracks in the foundation of your home. Most termites develop their colonies in the ground, making your home’s foundation their ideal chance to get in the home.
- Protect Your Wood – Pella Jackson has EnduraGuard® wood protection which offers advanced protection against the effects of moisture, decay, stains from mold and mildew – as well as termite damage.
- Call a Professional – Pest control firms can inspect your home for any existing termite infestations or damage, and install the right protection system for your home.
If you want more information on wood windows and what steps you should take to help prevent any damage, visit the Jackson showroom or set up an appointment online to have one of our experts provide a free in-home consultation. You can call Pella Windows and Doors at 307-733-0535 to get started and make wood windows a reality in your home.