Are Your Windows and Doors Ready for the Cold in Jackson, WY?
Ready or not, the colder weather is hitting Jackson and there is still time to make sure your home’s windows and doors are prepped for winter. Regularly checking your windows and doors can help ensure that your home remains and helps save on your energy bills.
How can you prepare your windows and doors for colder temperatures?
- Check to see if your windowsills and all the moving parts are clean – Dirt and debris that remains in windowsills or the moving parts on doors and windows can affect the tightness and seal when closed.
- Check your weather stripping – Weather stripping helps to keep air from entering the home when windows and doors are shut. It can become loose or torn over time, so watch your weather stripping and reattach any loose portions or replace sections that are torn.
- Reapply caulk or sealant around windows and doors – Rain, water and sunlight can damage exterior sealants and caulk. Remove damaged material and apply new sealant.
- Repair or replace damaged exterior surfaces – Take a look at your exterior surface for signs of moisture leaking, which may include cracked or deteriorated wood. Replacing the damaged wood helps prevent cold air and moisture from coming back into your home.
- Install storm doors – Storm doors offers an additional layer of security from air and moisture and improves energy performance.
- Install snap-in blinds or shades – Not only does this boost your privacy, but it also helps to insulate your home.
- Upgrade to energy-efficient windows and doors – If your home still has single-pane glass, clear glass, or your windows and doors are older, you could be paying more than necessary to heat your home. Our experts can walk you through newer, energy-efficient products.
If you have additional questions about preparing your home for winter, contact your local Showroom in Jackson at 307-733-0535.